A hotel has stood at the corner of Main Street and Road Street since 1829. This building was built in 1872 and remodeled in 1920. At that time Art Deco tiles and cast concrete shields were added. The building's current sign once said "New Southern Hotel". At some time the building was no longer considered to be new so the word "new" was simply covered up and the sign still remains that way.
The North Carolinian Building was built circa 1880. It is typical of the Victorian-period brick buildings having wooden storefronts and cornice. It was built for the newspaper, The North Carolinian, which was published from 1869 to 1902. The publisher was Dr. Palemon John.
This is the only Gothic Revival style bank building known in North Carolina. The exterior was originally painted to look like marble. During the 19th century the parapet and Gothic windows were removed. In 1984, working from a documentary photograph, the facade was rebuilt and the building was renovated.
100 Block E Main St, County Courthouse in background
The Shannon-Derrickson House was built circa 1849 and is East Main Street's last surviving antebellum house. The chimneys are scored stucco to imitate stone. The city's only antebellum wood frame outbuildings are located behind the house - an early kitchen and possible privy.
The Charles O. Robinson House was built as a wedding present for Ivy Blades in 1914. This Southern Colonial style (Neo-Classical) is one of the state's finest examples of the style.New Bern architect Herbert Woodley Simpson designed the house. It is still a Robinson family residence.